You could soon start to reap the rewards. Food can taste better. Smells could be more intense. You may have more energy and breathe more easily.
Once you’ve had your last cigarette…
You’ll be amazed how quickly you see the difference:
- After 20 minutes, your blood pressure and pulse should return to normal. Circulation can improve, especially to hands and feet.
- After 8 hours, blood oxygen levels can return to normal.
- After 24 hours, carbon monoxide leaves the body. The lungs can start to clear out mucus and debris.
- After 48 hours, the nicotine from cigarettes has left your body. Your senses of taste and smell can begin to improve.
- After 3 days, breathing may be easier and your energy levels could increase.
- 2-12 weeks, circulation can start to improve throughout the body. Walking and exercise can get easier.
- 3-9 months, breathing problems, coughing, shortness of breath and wheezing may improve. Lung efficiency can increase by up to 5-10%.
- After 5 years, risk of having a heart attack could fall to about half that of a smoker.
- After 10 years, risk of lung cancer can fall to around half that of a smoker. Risk of a heart attack could fall to about the same as someone who has never smoked.
There are lots of different strategies to quitting. This site has plenty of advice to help you find a way to quit that best suits you. If you'd like to use NiQuitin products to help you on your quit journey, head to the products section for details on what NiQuitin options may be available to you.
You might be surprised at the number of ways smoking can impact your health, and the benefits you could enjoy by quitting at any age.
If you’re worried about the effects smoking can have on your skin, quitting smoking could be the first step to slowing down the aging process.
By turning the theory into a reality and actually starting to save when you quit, you'll quickly see the impressive financial benefits.
It’s no secret that smoking affects your health, but you might be surprised to at some of the stats around smoking and your body.