FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No more putting it off

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
EvieB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvieB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No more putting it off
    Posted: 17 June 2012 at 1:00pm
Hello

I've just smoked what I hope will be my last cigarette!  Since the beginning of this year I've been promising myself that I'll quit but then making feeble excuses to keep putting it off.

I've been smoking for about 20 years, usually about 10 or 12 a day.  I've had a few heart hearted attempts at quitting in the past but they've all been miserable failures because of my lack of willpower.  Over the last few days I've tried to prepare myself for my quit by cutting down and not smoking at the times (such as after meals) when I would automatically reach out for a cigarette.  It always seems so easy when you know you have a packet of 20 on standby though. 

This time I'm hoping that my willpower will not let me down but just in case I find it too difficult I've got some nrt replacement lozenges that I spotted on sale at a bargain price of 50p for 96.  I'm resigned, but not looking forward, to the dreaded cravings I feel sure will torment me over the coming weeks but I'm determined to try and beat them this time.

This forum does seem to be very quiet but I know we smokers are a minority group nowadays, which is just another reason why I want to quit.

Evie    

corinna29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corinna29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2012 at 2:03pm
Hello Evie and welcome to this site,

As you've already noticed it has been very quiet since it has been up and running again. Closed down for 1 month at christmas and after months has only just been accessible again. Alot of people have gone else where but hopefully some newbies will come along soon to join us.

Your lozenges were deffinately a bargain and they are what I am using to quit with. I have found them really helpful, no cravings to deal with but the mind games we have to learn to deal with ourselves.

Alot of quitting is dealing with the situations that we associated lighting up with such as after a meal, so it is finding different coping strategies that will help us remain smokefree.

Read around these boards, there are some interesting topics and alot of useful information.
Post when you nned help or just want to chat and hopefully someone will be here to help you.

Stay strong

Corinna
EvieB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvieB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2012 at 6:49pm
Thankyou for the welcome Corrina, it's good to know that there are at least a few of us on here. I'm still feeling very positive about this quit although I must admit that now all my cigarettes have disappeared there have been a few moments when I've likened myself to a child who's lost their security blanket or teddy, I know this sounds absolutely crazy.  My aim for tomorrow is to keep cheerful and smokefree no matter what.
Evie 
REKOMSGIB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REKOMSGIB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2012 at 2:02pm
Hi EvieB,

Very well done for deciding to quit and welcome to this discussion forum.

The forum has only just come back on line having been down for five months for improvement, so it will be quiet for a while until people find it is back up and running again.

May I suggest you have a read of the various tips topics on the First Time and Week 1-2 forums and then come back with any particular questions you have. We are a pretty friendly community and someone will usually be along fairly soon with help and support.

Thanks for giving us the information on how many you smoked and your quitting method.

Wishing you 100% success with your quit,
Roger
Just so you know my background, here is my smoking and quitting history :-
A Smoker for 64 Years
Smoke Free for 1051 Days
NRT free for 945 Days
   Patch Usage          
71 Days on 21mg          
21 Days on 14mg          
14 Days on 7mg          
In total I used about 150 patches.                    

Be strong, quit forever,
Roger
EvieB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvieB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2012 at 3:21pm
Thankyou for the welcome Roger.  I'm know I will be glad of all the useful information and tips provided on this site and also the encouragement and support of yourself and the other members as I try to quit smoking for good.

I have now managed just over 24 hours without smoking.  It's early days but so far I have not had any major desire to smoke since my last cigarette yesterday.  I have attempted to quit before though so I'm well aware that it's going to need some STRONG willpower on my part before I become an ex-smoker.  I really want to get my brain in focus this time so that I can kick this habit for good.

Evie
REKOMSGIB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REKOMSGIB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2012 at 4:17am
Good morning EvieB,

I know the First Time forum would seem the logical forum to start on but I always used to suggest Newbies post on the Week 1-2 Forum as they will be seen more quickly there. I doubt if it makes a lot of difference now it is so quiet but there is nothing to lose, so perhaps still best to post on there the next time you are on as you will also start the progess through the weeks.

Be strong, quit forever,
Roger
corinna29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corinna29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2012 at 4:39am
Hello Evie,

I believe getting the brain into focus is the main challenge of quitting smoking. In my experience whatever NRT you use, helps keeps the cravings at bay or the side effects to a minimum but the brain needs more work.
I have attempted to quit so many times in the past and have learnt that its my mindset I have to get straight before quitting.

24 hours without smoking is brillant, now work on getting through the next 24 hours. Its surprising how quickly the days go. List any positives you start to feel so if you are having a bad time you can refer to the list to help you remain focused.

Stay strong

Corinna
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic